Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 95 12:28:17 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MIT SHM X11 extensions? (fwd)

> > Realistically, you could watermark it and start randomly crashing things
> > at 90% swap utilization on the client instead of putting up "out of
> > swap messages.
>
> And you were worried about all those core files?

It was sarcasm.  8-).

I think it's a stupid idea to make it so actions on the server can
damage existing running images on the client.

I also thing it is a security hole if you write exactly the right
crap to a binary that's on a server while the client is waiting
for input and allow it to be paged in.

Opens up exactly the BSD 4.0 adb bug where you could modify the
page that su would next use in memory for lack of copy on write on
debugged pages.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---