Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:05:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Robert Banniza" <robert@rootprompt.net>
Cc:        "Willem Brown" <willem@brwn.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rotating Logs...

In message <NCBBJOFDILAPLLGMNBONKEFECKAA.robert@rootprompt.net> "Robert Banniza" writes:
: 	This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you. Do I need to put an entry
: in cron or is this in place by default. The reason I ask is b/c I realize
: that several /var/log/* files have been rotated and gzip'ped. I placed my
: new entries in /etc/syslog.conf and was wondering if I need to -HUP syslog
: or how these new settings will take place. I realize 'man newsyslog' talks
: about cron entries but I have none so I'm wondering how my logs were ever
: rotated at all. Thanks for the help and I'll stop bugging now.

You need to put entries in /etc/newsyslog.conf after you've put them
in /etc/syslog.conf.  /etc/syslog.conf causes the logging to happen,
while entries in /etc/newsyslog.conf cause them to be rotated (or not
if they aren't in there).

Warner

P.S.  I'm typing the files names from memory, your best bet is to make
sure that you check the man pages to be sure.