Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2016 06:43:59 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: No port should need root for make fetch

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

On 2016-Dec-15 09:43:51 +0100, Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>Le 14/12/2016 =E0 06:17, Peter Jeremy a =E9crit :
>> On 2016-Dec-13 21:32:36 +0100, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> wrot=
e:
>>> IMO No port should need root for=20
>>> 	cd /usr/ports; make -i fetch
>> In a stock FreeBSD install, all ports require root to both fetch and bui=
ld.
>> You have customised your system in a non-standard way so you are getting
>> non-standard behaviour which doesn't match you expectations.
>
>That is plain not true.

By default, /usr/ports/distfiles is mode 0775 root:wheel and the only member
of wheel is root.  Fetching a port requires writing to /usr/ports/distfiles,
hence root is the only user that can fetch distfiles.

Likewise, by default, ports are built it /usr/ports/CATEGORY/NAME/work.
/usr/ports/CATEGORY/NAME is only writable by root so only root can create
the work directory in which to build ports.

If you change the above defaults (which I suspect most people do) then you
are correct that only a handful of ports need root to fetch or build (and
I think that is still too many) - but I explicitly specified "stock install=
".

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT