Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 00:26:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        rjob@gulftel.com (bob olbrich)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fixit floppy

bob olbrich wrote,
> Hello,
>
> I'm still having troubles trying to get FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE
> to boot. I've used the FTP method to install. I can see the
> bin distribution downloading and DEBUG output shows it
> successful. When the system reboots, F2 in the booteasy
> does not work.
>   I was wondering if the fixit floppy may be useful. I've never
> used it. Can I get a list of commands for it? Does it have a way
> to check the filesystem? Can I boot from it? I used the kern.flp and
> mfsroot.flp. Do these obsolete the boot.flp?

I do not believe so. The boot.flp and fixit.flp are typically used
together. For your problem, the first step would be to try to boot off
of the boot.flp, but then use the kernel off of your new
installation. Assuming that your drive you mentioned is a IDE drive on
the first controller, you would type at the boot prompt,

1:wd(0,1,a)
       ^
Where the '1' pointed at might vary depending on which slice you put
FreeBSD on (I assume you do have some MSDOS-style partitions?).

If that does not work, you might want to give the fixit floppy a
try. Again, you'd need to start with the boot floppy. See the
documentation on the website about the fixit floppy.