Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:15:34 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, d01f1n@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple defaultrouter

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 09:41:12PM +0000, Chip Wiegand wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:46:11 -0800
> "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net> wrote:

But what does it do then?
Does it send every other packet to the other gateway or is it saving
the second one in case the first one dies?

Honestly, the problem of this guy (two firewalls) is a problem in
the fact that his firewalls can't resume statefull sessions if one
dies. Big deal, this has always been a problem. What he should do
is make a firewall-pair which have one unique IP address (per server)
and one shared IP address. They have to monitor each other and the
standby one has to take over the moment the active one isn't working
anymore. The shared IP address is the one which is his default
gateway.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org