Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 16:06:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      FreeBSD@Jovi.Net
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/33904: secure mode bug

Bug is in the code.
Perpetuated by policy error.
Silent DWIM/failure is never acceptable policy in any API.

Suggest this kludge be documented as a temporary security measure
with a specific termination date, e.g. Monday 6 February 2006
to give app writers four years to fix their code
after which the emergency broken kernel
can be restored to normal.

		Cheers
			--Devon
	 /"\
	 \ /	 ASCII Ribbon Campaign
	  X	  Help Cure HTML Mail
	 / \

PS: I do not advocate any specific solution to the current defect,
there are many choices and I'm sure I haven't thought of them all,
here's one:  Accept small changes, reject large ones.  Giving the
caller half a time change is like giving the mom half a baby.
Apps can learn to ask for small time changes.

Some guiding principles:
* API quality is paramount
* Silent failure is never ok
* Silent DWIM is even worse
* necessity is not divinity (repent for we are all kludgers)

Most C coders ignore error status anyway,
maybe a clean UNIX system is a lost cause,
still no excuse for the current DWIM hack,
pure poison to allow UI kludges in the API,
blurring the concept of success or failure.