Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:08:17 -0700
From:      "Dmitry U. Karpov" <Dmitry.Karpov@misa.ac.ru>
To:        kurati@bigfoot.com, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, ftpmaster@gamma.ru, ftpmaster@kiae.su
Subject:   ftp://ftp.kiae.su/pub/FreeBSD/tools/bsdboot/README.jp

--------------69C9180A72FE

Dear sir.
I am ruiian and I am very little speak english.
If you read the bad words - it is my mistake only.

I am asked my friend Dmitri Louzguine <dmluz@imr.tohoku.ac.jp>
(he is live in Japan now) translate file
ftp://ftp.kiae.su/pub/FreeBSD/tools/bsdboot/README.jp
from Japanian to English. I think, he is not translate himself,
but asked somebody else.
After he sent me this file, I edit his translation (see attachment).
Please, check the translation, and if it is true,
please, public this text in the next release.

PS: The "bsdboot.com" is present on the FTP-site,
but "kernel" file is present in the CD-ROM image only.
The "bsdboot.com" is not working with floppy-image (of course).
The "bsdboot.com" is absent on the CD-ROM image.

--------------69C9180A72FE

Program for diriving FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD from the DOS mode.

Grammer:
	bsdboot [boot option] file [kernel option]

The boot options are listed below,
	-u	   : Driving from UFS file system
	-c command : Execution the command
	-i	   : Driving dialogue mode
	-f	   : Driving FreeBSD
	-n	   : Driving NetBSD
	-o	   : Driving OpenBSD
Please designate a kernel file to every file

Please designate BSD kernel option for each kernel option.
You can see these at man boot(?)

How to use and cautions
You can not use WindowsNT(maybe)

When you drive it from DOS/Windows95/98, if himem.sys is on, it does not work.

For DOS user,
Please remove device=himem.sys from config.sys, then re-boot the computer.

For Windows95 user,
Please push F8 key just after starting Windows95 information on the monitor.
Please push menu and select the Step-by-step confirmation,
then answer "No" for all questions.

For Windows98 user,
Please boot the computer with pushing CTRL key
Please select Step-by-step confirmation, then answer "No" for all questions.

Example: Driving FreeBSD
	Bsdboot -f kernel

	 Driving OpenBSD at a single user mode
	Bsdboot -o bsd -s

How to compile
You need syssrc.tgz in NetBSD 1.4, please get it
In the explanation below, work is a work directory.
	set WORK=the work directory
	cd $WORK
	tar -xovzf syssrc.tgz
	patch -p0 < bsdboot.patch
	cd $WORK/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/dosboot

Compiling with NetBSD:
	make

Compiling with OpenBSD:
	make OBJEST_FMT=ABOUT KERNEL=OPENBSD

When compiling, do not mind if
	make: don't know how to make bsdboot.com.cat1. Stop
appears on the monotor.

Compiling with FreeBSD: Please refer the supplement.

Please use Bsdboot.com at $work/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/dosboot

They checked that they could compile with NetBSD'1.4,
OpenBSD'2.5, and FreeBSD'3.2-RELEASE.

BUGS:
  You can not use the -D and -P of the FreeBSD option.

(Not so important.)

--
kurati@bigfoot.com
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Flats/2220/