Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:14:35 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        tom <tomb@cgf.net>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum causes fatal double fault kernel panic

On Monday, 17 April 2000 at  9:44:07 +0000, tom wrote:
> I found the nswers on the vinum home page at www.lemis.com, the only
> outstanding issue is that when I start vinum it only brings up one
> of the mirror subdisks.  I then have to manually start the second
> drive in the pair.

Right, this is described in the man page:

     volume name [options]

           Define a volume with name name.

           Options are:
	   [snip]
           setupstate

                               When creating a multi-plex volume, assume that
                               the contents of all the plexes are consistent.
                               This is normally not the case, and correctly
                               you should use the init command to first bring
                               them to a consistent state.  In the case of
                               striped and concatenated plexes, however, it
                               does not normally cause problems to leave them
                               inconsistent: when using a volume for a file
                               system or a swap partition, the previous con-
                               tents of the disks are not of interest, so they
                               may be ignored.  If you want to take this risk,
                               use this keyword.  It will only apply to the
                               plexes defined immediately after the volume in
                               the configuration file.  If you add plexes to a
                               volume at a later time, you must integrate
                               them.

                               Note that you must use the init command with
                               RAID-5 plexes: otherwise extreme data corrup-
                               tion will result if one subdisk fails.

Greg