Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 12:44:41 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcl 7.6 & tk 4.2

> Maybe it is better to wait for version 8 (or currently use their beta
> versions) and forget about Tcl 7.6/Tk 4.2.

I lean leavily towards the former option.  After listening to Brent
Welch speak at the Tcl/Tk BOF this past USENIX about some of the
things they have in 8.0 or are upcoming for the full release, I'd say
that 8.0 is more than just another revision bump - it's a jumping-off
point for a whole new style of interaction with Tcl & Tk, and it's
going to be sort of a "get on the bandwagon or be forever left behind"
kind of proposition for many of the existing applications.  Once Tcl
8.0 is mature, I think it'd also be a really good replacement for the
Tcl 7.5 which is already in our source tree.  It has better support
for "objects" and the kinds of abstract data types which come up
frequently in Real Life(tm).

					Jordan