Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:53:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
To:        Damon Permezel <dap@damon.com>
Cc:        daleg@elemental.org, dburr@POBoxes.com, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com
Subject:   Re: Jazzm

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Damon Permezel wrote:

>Is anyone else having reliability problems with Jazz? I had to sent
>the first 3 back before I got one which would not eat the disk and
>refuse to eject it.
>
>Each time you send the drive back, including the disc, you lose the disc,
>donating its contents to whoever gets to liberate it.
>
>My current drive works ok, but now I am having some of my media start to die.
>
>When inserted, the drive makes horrible sounds for a while, then
>subsides, but the media is unreadable.  It rejects mode sense.
>When I use the Adaptec 2940 low level formatter, it usually fails
>with a media error.  Once (different Adaptec adapter, different
>firmware) it formatted all the way thru, and verified, but once I
>moved it back, it died.
>
>This was "used once or twice" media.  My other media still works,
>so far....  I have dedicated 2940 adapters for externally connected
>narrow devices, and I never connect more than one device at a time,
>on a 3' cable, and yes, I understand the need for correct termination.
>
>My general impression, though, is that this is not anything I want to consider
>for archive, or backup, or even casual use.
>
>Are others having similar experiences?

How hot are the discs when they come out?  I really liked my syjet until
I filled up the other bays in my case.  Then things didn't work so well,
I would start to lose sectors.  The drive runs pretty hot, but when I
stacked other drives around it, it just couldn't handle it.  I haven't
as yet had a chance to add a fan to see if that will do enough to fix
the problem, but if I only use the syjet for the first few minutes
after I start up the machine, I don't have any problems and it indeed
works really nicely.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com