Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2017 17:26:59 +0700
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, gonzo@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use our stock armv7-RPI2 images with QEMU?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 02:59:27PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru> wrote:
> > I've noticed (per qemu-system-arm -machine help) that it claims to support
> > Raspberry Pi 2 (raspi2), so I wanted to boot one of our stock armv7-RPI2
> > images, but did not find recipe at https://wiki.freebsd.org/QemuRecipes,
> > and my FreeBSD/arm knowledge is lacking.
> >
> > Basically I look for a fast way to setup arm6/7 VM to do some ports work.
> >
> > Could someone give me a hand here, and possibly update that wiki page?
> > (It covers arm64, but not arm).  Thanks,
>
> OK. The answer is "It's complicated" and I'm not sure anybody has actually
> done it recently.

I've found this blog post* from 2012 and it does not look too complicated;
I'd even won't bother too much and just grabbed those fines from gonzo@'s
homedir but they are gone now. :-(

> The following links may be useful. Sounds like the answer is you have to
> figure out how much of the SoC qemu is actually doing, and then load u-boot
> that's been hacked to omit the part of the initialization that causes
> problems...

Yeah I've read some of those.  I was hoping that since qemu-arm knowns about
RPi2 and we know how to produce ready-to-boot image no special dances with
u-boot and dts would be needed; I've tried to extract /boot/kernel/kernel
out of our image and pass it via -kernel option but it did not work.

./danfe

*) https://grenville.wordpress.com/2012/12/16/freebsd-10-under-qemu-emulated-versatilepb-armv6/