Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 13:12:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Russ Pagenkopf <russ@archives.mac-mgrs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   YAMFS question

Hiya folks,

Yet Another MFS question and I hope someone can help me with this. I've
read the man page, searched the mailing list archives, tried various
combinations, but no go.

I would like to create an MFS partiton that's large enough to hold a
single index file that gets loaded every time a perl script is run. The
index file is currently about 5MB and growing.

The man page suggested:

mount_mfs -s 131072 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/da0s1b /tmp

for a 64MB partition mounted on /tmp. I didn't want one that large so I
figured 131072/64MB=2048, thus 2048*16MB=32768. I also wanted the mount
point to be /index so I created said directory and gave it the proper
permissions,

drwxrwxrwt   2 root  wheel      512 Apr 11 23:13 index

I then did:

mount_mfs -s 32768 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/da0s1b /index

And got this error:

mount_mfs: /dev/da0s1b: No such file or directory

Now said device does exist,

brw-r-----  1 root  operator    4, 0x00020002 Mar 20 03:19 da0s1

And MFS is compiled in my current kernel,

options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
options         MFS_ROOT                #MFS usable as root device, "MFS"
req'ed

This box is running FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE. So, what the heck am I missing
(other than the obligatory sacrifices ;) ?

Thanks

rus