Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 10:04:50 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Craig Wilson <craig@natsoft.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@best.net, dg@root.com, cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE

> Could somebody please tell me whether the fixes to the following problem
> reports made it into FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE, and if they did not make
> it what the fixes are, and whether the problems are serious and need
> fixing. Also are there any other problems that should be fixed with
> FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE before putting it into a commercial situation.

I've experienced kern/5117 and kern/6102 under 2.2.5 and 2.2.6.  This
problem,
a "biodone: buffer not busy" panic,  occurs under heavy I/O load to
SCSI devices (disk drive, CDROM drive, 4mm tape drive, and Zip disk
drive), especially when most/all are being heavily used simultaneously.
 Heavy use of the two EIDE disks on the same system doesn't cause a
panic.  In every case the Zip drive was writing during the course of
panic.

> kern/4844 VM lookup, endless loop in vm_map_lookup_lookup_entry()
> this PR was closed on Apr26 1998
>
> kern/6258 VM lookup on kernel map........
> this PR was closed on Apr26 1998

I've been using a vfs_bio.c that John Dyson had posted to -stable since
December.  It's fixed the problem for me.  His fix was different from
the one in kern/6258.  Since you've got my curiosity piqued, I'll have
to examine the differences.

> Regards Craig Wilson
> National Software Pty Ltd

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca