Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 17:43:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        erik@smluc.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/37790: mcrypt patch problem

> Hi

Hi, Eric.

> bug report is that security/mcrypt has a patch files that fails, the
> only patch file there is unnecessary and should be deleted.
>
> While looking, I found two other issues that might need to be
> addressed...
>
> 1) this port has some nasty unnecessary configuration stuff that forces
>    extra dependancies and work, I think those should be removed. I'm
>    willing to do that, but don't want to step on toes if the maintainer
>    is active...

You could prepare a patch and submit it as a PR.  If the maintainer is
active, he or she will look at your PR and decide whether to apply your
patch.  Otherwise, you can point to the unattended PR and ask to be made
the maintainer yourself.

> 2) reponsibility in the pr (dated mar06) and bugmaster is "freebsd-ports",
>    but the port has a listed maintainer. Is this a bug in gnats? Or is
>    the makefile outdated and not reflecting something gnats knows?

The PR is actually dated not March 6th but May 6th, which is today.
Gnats doesn't "know" much, certainly not enough to automagically figure
out who the maintainer is and assign PRs--that must be done by a human.
I notice that the maintainer just did it for this PR.
--
Trevor Johnson