Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:14:22 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing is vvveeerrryyy slow

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 11:32:51PM -0800, Thomas Dean wrote:

>I am running smp, 4.0-current, as of Mon Feb 15 03:34:29 PST 1999.
>
>Printing is very slow.  I have a HP LaserJet III attached to lpt0.
>Printing in the pcl, text, mode is slower than I expect.  Printing in
>the postscipt mode is extremely slow.  A 30K postscript file has been
>OVER 5 minutes and is not finished!
>
>>From dmesg:
>Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
>sc0 on isa
>sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
>atkbdc0 at 0x60-0x6f on motherboard
>atkbd0 irq 1 on isa
>psm0 irq 12 on isa
>psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
>sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
>sio0: type 16550A
>sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
>sio1: type 16550A
>ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
>ppc0: PC87334 chipset (PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
>lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
>lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
>fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa

Another clue:

The National Semiconductors are tricky to configure and your parallel
port chipset is one of them (moreover a recent one). Compare the
boot detection (PS2/NIBBLE) with your BIOS settings. Try to change your
BIOS settings and dump me your dmesg (with verbose output).

You may also try to force the operating mode with ppc boot flags. See
ppc(4) for more info about this.

--
nsouch@teaser.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org