Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:40:46 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        david.myers@Corp.Sun.COM
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP current status?

Hi,

> I'm about to install a second CPU in my Tyan Pentium Pro motherboard
> and go for the FreeBSD 3.0 upgrade.  The web pages on freebsd.org are
> looking a bit dated,

this is primarily because SMP is now part of 3.0-current and thus doesn't
require as much special information to be able to use it.

---
> however, so I thought I'd ask: how usable is
> FreeBSD-SMP, for a person who's not necessarily a kernel hacker but
> does like to tinker?

It builds cleanly right out of the box, in most cases no special skills
are needed.

---
>  How stable?

hard to quantify, but it builds world and runs for weeks on most systems
without
problems.

---
>  Does all FreeBSD 2.2.2 code run?

probably not, but this is true for the 3.0 UP kernel as well.  the bigger issue
is 2.2 vs. 3.0, not SMP

---
> I'm wondering about Open Sound System, Linux compatibility, and other
> dynamically-loaded libraries, in particular.

I typically don't use any of these, except perhaps a few lkms that I'mn unaware
of...

--
Steve Passe	| powered by