Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 03:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/27242: SIGHUP propgation failure to processes of switched user

The following reply was made to PR kern/27242; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: jhkang@isofree.net
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: kern/27242: SIGHUP propgation failure to processes of switched
 user
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 20:08:31 +1000 (EST)

 On Thu, 10 May 2001 jhkang@isofree.net wrote:

 >         Top utilitiy and may other utiltities that control terminal directly
 >         and does not have explicit checking eof condition may not
 >         die and captures cpu resource continuely
 >         if an user switched another user, run the command and the controlling terminal
 >         disconnected unexpectedly.
 > >Fix:
 >         APPLICATION LEVEL SOLUTION
 >         check EOF condition in command reading loop.
 >         patch top.c (/usr/src/usr.bin/top/top.c in FreeBSD 4.3) as following
 >         KERNEL(?) LEVEL?
 >         I suspect something is blocking propating of SIGHUP signal to the processes.
 >         The charge may be *kernel*, su or termcap lib.

 I believe SIGHUP propagation works as intended (if not correctly).  There
 are cases where POSIX requires SIGHUP to _not_ be delivered to all the
 children.  Applications that don't check for read() failing are just broken.

 Bruce