Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:43:49 +0000
From:      "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
To:        George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Patches for RFC6937 and draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-00

--Apple-Mail=_9F65941C-9A73-4B60-B044-32DAA98D6156

Hi,

the newcwv patch is probably stale now with Tom Jones' recent patch =
based on a more up-to-date version of the Internet-Draft, but the PRR =
patch should still be useful?

Lars

On 2014-6-19, at 23:35, George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com> =
wrote:

> On 4 Feb 2014, at 1:38, Eggert, Lars wrote:
>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> below are two patches that implement RFC6937 ("Proportional Rate =
Reduction for TCP") and draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-00 ("Updating TCP to =
support Rate-Limited Traffic"). They were done by Aris =
Angelogiannopoulos for his MS thesis, which is at =
https://eggert.org/students/angelogiannopoulos-thesis.pdf.
>>=20
>> The patches should apply to -CURRENT as of Sep 17, 2013. (Sorry for =
the delay in sending them, we'd been trying to get some feedback from =
committers first, without luck.)
>>=20
>> Please note that newcwv is still a work in progress in the IETF, and =
the patch has some limitations with regards to the "pipeACK Sampling =
Period" mentioned in the Internet-Draft. Aris says this in his thesis =
about what exactly he implemented:
>>=20
>> "The second implementation choice, is in regards with the measurement =
of pipeACK. This variable is the most important introduced by the method =
and is used to compute the phase that the sender currently lies in. In =
order to compute pipeACK the approach suggested by the Internet Draft =
(ID) is followed [ncwv]. During initialization, pipeACK is set to the =
maximum possible value. A helper variable prevHighACK is introduced that =
is initialized to the initial sequence number (iss). prevHighACK holds =
the value of the highest acknowledged byte so far. pipeACK is measured =
once per RTT meaning that when an ACK covering prevHighACK is received, =
pipeACK becomes the difference between the current ACK and prevHighACK. =
This is called a pipeACK sample.  A newer version of the draft suggests =
that multiple pipeACK samples can be used during the pipeACK sampling =
period."