Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:54:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        r.hyunseog@ieee.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting article.

Actually, the most fascinating part of the article for me was footnote 2:

   F2 - There obviously are multi-tasking/multi-process solutions that
   Hotmail could have leveraged under FreeBSD. However, they would
   require making application modifications and rework to implement. So,
   this was an optimum opportunity to examine other options and
   platforms.

I.e., they could have reimplemented the FreeBSD-based Hotmail using a
non-CGI solution on FreeBSD to get much of the performance gain they got
by moving to Windows 2000, but since they were going to do the work
anyway, why not migrate to Windows 2000 at the same time.  Neither CGI on
Windows nor on FreeBSD can provide the kind of performance large-scale
dynamic content web sites require, and that change probably explains the
majority of the performance improvement.  Some of the remainder probably
comes from pushing large parts of the web server into kernel-space, a
design choice that, while gleaning additional performance, may be
questionable from a stability and design perspective.

One of the interesting pieces of performance work in FreeBSD that has come
out of Yahoo! is the introduction of Accept Filters, which allow
applications to push some customized behavior into the kernel using a
relatively clean interface.  It would be interesting to compare the
before/after Accept Filter cases with the before/after IIS kernel
introduction cases.  Given the degree of "stuff" pushed into the kernel
under IIS, you might continue to expect a similar or higher level of
performance under Windows 2000, especially with their reengineered IP
stack under Windows 2000.=20