Date:      Wed, 09 Sep 1998 09:38:25 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Michael Richards <miker@scifair.acadiau.ca>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive problem?

> I realise this isn't a SCSI drive, but all the same...

If it's not a SCSI problem, why not post it to -hardware (where I've
redirected this).  Don't apologise for using the wrong list - use the
right one.

> While doing a buildworld I got:
> wd0: interrupt timeout:
> wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
> wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
>
> This is a Brand-Spanking-New Quantum drive. It misbahaves in NT because NT
> thinks it's 8025mb when it's only 5.1 gigs, but it wouldn't be the first
> time that a Mirco$oft product didn't work right.

Does the disk make ugly "clunk" noises before you get this message?  We
tend to time out on IDE disks before they've finished trying to handle
a hard error.

Put the disk in another system, dd over it (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/
wd1) and then try again.  It may have an unrecoverable read error, in
which case this should let it reallocate the block and move on.

The disk may also be completely stuffed, in which case you should
return it.