Date:      Fri, 03 Aug 2001 03:07:26 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: ACPI changes

I've made a couple of minor changes to the ACPI code:

 - Fixed (hopefully) PCI interrupt routing, thanks to neckpain@nettaxi.com
   who was able to actually test (and correct) my code.

 - Changed the way ACPI timers are treated to be more pessimistic.  It
   looks like we can't assume that the average ACPI timer is properly
   implemented.  This is a pain; a "good" timer takes about 350 cycles to
   read on my PIII/500 laptop, wheras the "safe" read takes about 1050
   cycles.  (~700ns vs. 2us respectively).  The code will still optimise
   if a known-good timer is detected.

   To test your ACPI timer, first check to see which one you have.  Look
   at the output of 'pciconf -lv'.  If you have an Intel chipset, chances
   are that we already know about it, and the code will do the right
   thing.  For example:

none0@pci0:7:3: class=0x068000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71138086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82371AB PIIX4 Power Management Controller'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = PCI-unknown

   This is the PIIX4M, (rev=0x03), known to be reliable.

   If you have a non-Intel chipset and you want to try it out, say

 set debug.acpi.timer_test="yes"

   at the loader prompt, then boot.  If your timer has problems, you
   should see messages like:

 acpi_timer0: timer is not monotonic: 0x1d52ab4f,0x1d52ab4e,0x1d5b89ea

   being displayed at random intervals.  If after several minutes you do
   not see any of these messages, please send me the output of
   'pciconf -lv' and I'll see whether we can safely detect your ACPI
   timer.

Regards,
Mike