Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 09:30:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Lind <john@starfire.mn.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ok, *now* it's End-Of-ALPHA Release Candidate time!

> I just need to know right now how well it works on *your* machine! :-)

OK -- I had the latest of a couple of days ago running on a 25Mhz
386 w/4M of memory, an Addtron ne2000 clone, and a WD1007(V) ESDI
controller, but I thought you'd want to see what this stuff does,
so I've dumped it all and am reloading now...

Anyway, one thing caught my eye which may or may not be a problem,
because I don't really understand the intricacies of the firewalled
FTP situation, but when I brought up the Options menu from the
menu with "Commit" on it, I saw that "passive" mode for firewalled
FTP was selected, so I changed it to "active" mode for standard
ftp.  As I guess how these might be, I am assuming that they are
mutually exclusive, so I find the wording a little confusing.  If
my understanding is correct, a couple of sets of parentheses would
clarify it a bit.  I don't have the menu up in front of me right
now, so any actual wording changes are accidental, I am just
showing how I think parens would clarify things if they are
exclusive (or make things worse if they are not! :-)
[ ] FTP "passive" mode (for firewalled access)
[ ] FTP "active" mode (for standard access)

To summarize
1)  Should passive mode be the default?
2)  Adding parens to enhance understandability.

Of course, the parens thing is pretty minor, so if you aren't
going to change the default, it surely wouldbn't be worth holding
things up just for the parens.

This looks great, but with FreeBSD getting this easy and fun to
install, no-one is going to want to pay me to do it anymore! :-)

		   John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG		USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417