Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:30:09 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        estair@computer-exchange.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to stop sendmail from loading at boot.

estair@computer-exchange.com wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm running 5.0current 4-12-01, from a net install, X-Kern-Developer base.
>
> The problem I'm having is that sendmail is running at system start, even
> though
> the default /etc/defaults/rc.conf sets sendmail_enable="NO", and I've tried
> setting
> the same in /etc/rc.conf in case it's not parsing the defaults file.  But it
> doesn't change
> anything.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations?  I'm going to remove sendmail.cf since
> that
> is read as an "if" in /etc/rc to before starting sendmail, but that seems
> quite the hack
> just to disable the mail daemon.

That would work. Make sure you disable cron too, because that calls sendmail.
Removing /usr/sbin/sendmail would work too, and would also guarantee that the
box cannot send mail, as you seem to want.
You should also probably set
NO_SENDMAIL=true   and
NO_MAILWRAPPER=true
in your /etc/make.conf, and remove /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail as well.

> I'll try any suggestions after work, and will re-post Tuesday.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eli Stair

Cheers,
-Peter