Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 13:58:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Wes <klaymen@ev1.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation trouble

Please wrap your lines at about 72 characters. Thanks.

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Wes wrote:

> I downloaded the 3.1 release of FreeBSD and was installing it when I
> think a made a mistake. My original configuration on a 486 with 16mb
> RAM, functioning as a file server, was:
>
> c:\   162mb HDD running Windows 95 and MS-Dos shell 5.0
> d:\   1.7GB HDD holding data
> e:\   1.0GB SCSI HDD holding data
> f:\   1.0GB SCSI HDD holding data

In the future, don't use DOS drive designations.  They are ambiguous.

> I wanted to leave win95 and dos on the small drive (c:\), and set up a
> boot menu to direct the computer to the 1.7GB drive (d:\) where
> FreeBSD would be located. I installed the Boot Menu first and then
> re-ran the instalation program. In the drive section, I told it to
> allocate itself 250mb off of the 1.7GB drive, which I can only guess
> it did.

Stop.  What was there previously?  FreeBSD requires it's own slice; it
cannot be installed within any other partition type (such as an extended
DOS).  you cannot use sysinstall to chop up an existing slice.  For that
you will need Partition Magic or FIPS.

> I received a fatal error that made me restart the computer.

What error?

> Now when I boot up, I receive the FreeBSD boot menu (F1 for dos, F5
> for drive 1) , as expected. When F1 is pressed (DOS), Win95 boots up
> like normal, except, now I cannot see the 1.7GB drive or any of it's
> data. When I hit F5 (drive 1) from the boot menu, it tells me I have
> an Invalid Partition Table. (note: BIOS still sees the drive)

It sounds like you didn't quite understand what you were doing and somehow
destroyed the partition table on that drive.  Unless you had a backup
(from norton or something) that data is history.

> My question is this: how can I get back the data on the 1.7GB drive
> and restore my computer to it's original working order?  I still want
> to install FreeBSD, but not on the same drive. I have decided to
> reformat the small drive (162mb) and devote it to running dos and
> FreeBSD, but I DO NOT want to have to reformat the 1.7GB drive.

162MB isn't enough for a reasonable FreeBSD install.

> It holds a lot of data that I want to keep. The 1.7GB drive is a
> Western Digital that uses EZdrive to boot up (I think this may have
> something to do with the problem).

Ah.  FreeBSD probably deleted this when you installed the boot menu.
You'll have to reinstall ezdrive.  That may restore your partition table.

> I would like to delete the FreeBSD boot menu and the 250mb Partition
> that I assume the installation created, so that I may get back to
> normal, from which I can then proceed.

Use DOS FDISK, but I think you misunderstood how to install the system.

Doug White