Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:33:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        phocking@no-wire.net
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gateworks and RB500

In message: <4564F381.7090808@no-wire.net>
            Phill Hocking <phocking@no-wire.net> writes:
: I have plenty of Avilas and RouterBOARDS, and I know a bit about *BSD
: and embedded systems; how can I help get the wheels of freedom rolling
: on these platforms? These lists seem low-volume, are there any forums?
: Daily builds or anything that boots even?

You are in luck.  Support for the Avilas has just been committed.
Support for a RouterBOARD is likely a little further out (it is MIPS
based, no?).

Sam Laffler sent out he following mail to freebsd-arm a couple of days
ago:

: I just committed the code to make 2348 boards usable.  But there are
: some caveats.
:
: 1. The npe (wired ethernet) support requires Intel firmware that we
: cannot distribute (yet); you must obtain it from the Intel web site if
: you don't otherwise have it (e.g. in a Gateworks Linux distribution).
:
: 2. The compact flash ide support needs a change to
: sys/dev/ata/ata-all.c; roll back that file to rev 1.274.
:
: 3. If you want to use ath cards in the minipci slots you'll need to use
: a newer hal than what is in CVS.  I believe the tarball at
: http://www.freebsd.org/~sam/ath_hal-20060909.tgz will work but am not
: sure.  I'm working on getting a known-good version together.
:
: This stuff has mostly been tested booting with an NFS-mounted root
: filesystem.  I've placed instructions on how I do this at:
:
: http://www.freebsd.org/~sam/README-gateworks
:
: I believe most of the important stuff is working.  The main thing
: missing is read/write to flash.  We're also not fully setup for booting
: from compact flash (because redboot does not grok ufs filesystems) but
: that's not a big deal as there are several ways to deal with this.
:
: There's still a lot of room for improvement.  It'd be nice if someone
: could add the PMC support to help in doing performance tuning.
:
: 	Sam

This should be enough to get you started.

As this support is relatively new, there's not been any daily builds
or anything like that.  Stay tuned.

Warner