Date:      Thu, 10 May 2012 12:57:30 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: r234928 ugen(4) obsolete?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Anton Shterenlikht
<mexas@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> On amd64 r234928 adding "device ugen" to
> the kernel config gives on buildkernel:
>
> config: Error: device "ugen" is unknown
> config: 1 errors
> *** [buildkernel] Error code 1
>
> ugen(4) man page says nothing about this
> driver being obsolete or something similar.
>
> Is ugen being included as part of some
> other driver? I see in dmesg lines like, e.g.:
>
> =A0ugen0.2: <Broadcom Corp> at usbus0
>
> even though I haven't built ugen in the kernel.

Yes. The USB v2 code made ugen a part of the kernel USB support and
and it is no longer a separate driver. I don't know that it's presence
in usb(4) is documented anywhere, but it is not in the man page.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com