Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:25:20 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Suggestions for dealing with Linux-specific assembly in ports

--=-J2yBaFQhX6D9Uge35leD

I'm looking to make a FreeBSD port out of OpenSPC
(http://web.umr.edu/~bmartin/snes.htm) which is an SPC (sound format
used by SNES ROM dumpers for music files) plugin for XMMS. There's a
small issue, though, which I'm not sure of how to handle: the port uses
some Linux-specific assembly code in order to increase performance. Now,
the port *does* work -- I'm listening to the original Chrono Trigger
sound track as I write this, and it's crystal clear -- but I'm not sure
of how to handle the Linux assembly code. Should I mark the port as
BROKEN for !i386 and set USE_LINUX? I know next to nothing of assembly,
so I won't be able to patch the code myself.
--=20
pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-

--=-J2yBaFQhX6D9Uge35leD

--=-J2yBaFQhX6D9Uge35leD--