Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:51:25 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@btsslc.com>
To:        craig@os.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   forwarded message from Craig Shrimpton

Craig Shrimpton <craigs@os.com> asked:
> My fstab contains an invalid drive and it fails to mount / read-write at
> boot time.  Unless I can edit /etc/fstab I'm stuck.  How do you overcome
> this problem?  I don't have a boot disk handy :-( I have the install disk
> but it has no shell.

Boot in single-user mode by entering -s at the boot prompt.  fsck your
root disk, since it is mounted read-only.  Remount the disk read-write
with:

    # mount -u /

You can now edit fstab with 'ed' and remove the offending mount point.
Exiting from the single-user shell should bring the system up multi-
user.

--

                        I'd rather be sailing.

Wes Peters                      BTS SLC                          wes@btsslc.com