Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:43:56 +0300
From:      "Ivailo Tanusheff" <i.tanusheff@procreditbank.com>
To:        "'Roman Neuhauser'" <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: running my own local time server

Install and run ntp (/usr/ports/net/ntp).
Then edit /etc/ntp.conf , mine is:
server ntp2.usno.navy.mil
server tock.usno.navy.mil
server tick.usno.navy.mil
server ntp.colby.edu
server navobs1.oar.net
server gnomon.cc.columbia.edu
server tick.gatech.edu
server ntp0.mcs.anl.gov

driftfile /var/db/ntp.drift

restrict default notrust nomodify
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict <net number> mask <net mask>

NB: Correct net number and net mask with yours!

Start your ntpd daemon in startup scripts, per example:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntpd.sh
#!/bin/sh

case "x$1" in
  x)
  xstart)
    /usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid
    ;;
  xstop)
    /bin/kill -9 `/bin/cat /var/run/ntpd.pid`
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: `basename $0` {start|stop}" >&2
    ;;
esac

Your clients may use /usr/sbin/ntpdate -b -p 8 -u -s <server ip>
To sync with your local time server.

Regards,
Ivailo Tanusheff
System administrator and Security advisor
ProCredit Bank, Bulgaria