Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:40:44 -0400
From:      Darek M <fafaforza@gmail.com>
To:        Jamie Gritton <jamie@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Jail <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quotas inside jails

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Jamie Gritton <jamie@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 08/30/12 17:05, Darek M wrote:

>> I'm curious whether the "security.jail.param.allow.quotas" sysctl is
>> my missing link, and if so, why it is immutable.
>

> The security.jail.param.* sysctls are part of the jail_get/set system
> calls, and are all immutable; they server only to define the available
> jail parameters.
>
> So the question now comes to the allow.quotas parameter. If you set this
> on a jail, then you will indeed be able to manipulate quotas inside the
> jail. But the quotas still aren't per-jail - they're keyed only on
> UID/GID, and would share with anyone outside the jail using the same
> UID/GID. That's fine if the jail has its own filesystem, but not if it
> shares with other jails or (especially) with the host system.
>
> - Jamie

Indeed, this looks to be my missing piece.  Using distinct UIDs on
each jail should be easily doable, and would be cleaner than using
zfs, etc..

However, I tried setting "security.jail.param.allow.quotas" to 1
inside the jail via /etc/sysctl.conf and /boot/loader.conf and it
remains at 0.  Am I trying to enable it the wrong way?

--
Darek