Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 1995 08:26:36 -0800
From:      patl@asimov.lashley.slip.netcom.com
To:        mdavis@io.cts.com, vazquez@iqm.unicamp.br, ache@astral.msk.su
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: An apology..

|>  >Morgan Davis said:
|>  >>
|>  >> If this isn't testament to the fact that we need a Doom interface for
|>  >> FreeBSD to take out frustrations ...  :-)
|>  >>
|>  >>
|>  >Well, I'll asked IDSofware about the promised FreeBSD doom port, the
|>  >answer was: NO, NEVER
|>
|>  Why? Especially about NEVER...

Perhaps they were talking about an -official- port.  I know that the
Sun port was an unofficial collaboration between one of the Id engineers
and a couple of Sun engineers; so perhaps something similar can be
done for FreeBSD.

(BTW, the Sun port has two flavors - standard MIT X11 SHM [shared memory
extension] and Sun DGA [Direct Graphic Access].  The DGA version on an
SS20 is the fastest Doom implementation in existance.  Even faster than
the SGI version.  Since Doom regulates the playing speed against a real-
time clock, this translates into a full 30 frames per second, even in
four player networked nightmare deathmatch scenarios in complex settings.
And you still have some CPU left over for that job running in the other
window.  You know, the one you are getting paid for...)

-Pat

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
1098 Lynn, Sunnyvale, CA 94087	||  408/720-9039  ||  lashley@netcom.com