Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 11:10:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Craig Johnston <caj@praline.no.neosoft.com>
To:        Allan Alford <aa@jump.net>
Cc:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, Marc Rassbach <marc@tandem.milestonerdl.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Speed of the cards? was Re: SCSI card to choose

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Allan Alford wrote:

> The way I understand it is this:
>
> PCI bus speed = 1/2 motherboard bus speed.  Motherboard bus speed is the

In most current implementations, yes.  Actually the PCI bus need not
be related to the mobo bus speed in any way, it can be asynchronous.

> To my knowledge, Cyrix is the only CPU manufacturer currently active who
> can support the 83MHz standard anyway.  Because of their new chip, a

Huh?  Bus speed is meaningless to the CPU.  If your chip will run at
83Mhz times whatever multiplier and the motherboard cooperates, there
you go.  There's no CPU support for bus speed.  The CPU doesn't care
if it's doing 83 * 2 or 66 * 2.5.  Folks are overclocking Intel
and AMD chips in the same fashion.

I'm running my K5-166 at 83*1.5, BTW.

My Matrox Millenium (not II) and Symbios 53c810 both handle the
resulting 41.5 Mhz bus speed just fine, for whoever was curious.

-Craig