Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:03:54 -0700
From:      Brian Nelson <brian.nelson@corp.pocket.com>
To:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD

Generic Player wrote:

> I realize alot of people cling to the "M$ sux d00d" line of thinking, but NT
> and windows aren't the same, and NT is an inherently multi-user OS.  The
> concepts of users, groups, and permissions apply the same to NT as they do
> to Unix.  It doesn't further BSD any when every comment about it has to bash

Though you can have users and groups, you typically have 1 user logged into 1
machine at a time.  In UNIX, you can have hundreds logged into the same
machine, running several tasks, interactivly with the OS.  It's the difference
between "I have multiple user accounts" and "I am helping multiple users".

In fact, with things like VNC, you can be logged into your FreeBSD, showing a
fully-functional desktop, without being on that same machine.

"It doesn't further BSD any when every comment about it has to bash MS." is
simply excessive.  In fact, I bet if you check the freebsd-stable archive, you
would see that most comments or discussions about BSD don't even include, MS,
WinTendo, MicroSoft, WinTel, Winblows, Losedoze, Windoze, DasFuhrerSoft, u$oft,
or M$ in any of their content.  Perhaps you're confuging freebsd-questions with
linux-questions, or some other linux mailing list?

> MS.  I think FreeBSD is a pretty good OS, don't you?  Good enough to stand
> on its own merits I'd say.

Absolutely.