Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:02:40 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, rotkap@gmx.de
Subject:   Re: Strange fonts in firefox since update to 2.0.0.1

--nextPart1223004.qIIEO3d9F5

On Friday, 22. December 2006 16:56, Heino Tiedemann wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Friday, 22. December 2006 15:09, Heino Tiedemann wrote:
> >> Hi There,
> >>
> >> since I updated the port www/firefox to the new version
> >> "firefox-2.0.0.1,1" I have e strange, "default font".
> >
> > Like this?
>
> I took a screenshot and put it here:
> <http://rotkap.gmxhome.de/ff-font1.png>;
>
> Please take also a look to the URL-line of firefox. It is has a font,
> where it is difficult to distinguish between "i" and "l".

Seems to be a different font, but essentially the same problem - fontconfig=
=20
chooses an ugly font. I guess it depends on the toolkit and selected toolki=
t=20
theme which font is requested for the line edits - in my case, it seems to =
be=20
plain old "fixed" and fontconfig likes to choose this for me:

[lofi@kiste]:0:~ > fc-match fixed-10
12x13ja.pcf.gz: "Fixed" "ja"

That's a bitmap font with japanese and *very* ugly latin gyphs (it used to=
=20
terrorise me for ages by showing up in Konsole as the default font, too).

=46ontconfig will use this on my system for both fixed (no size) and fixed-=
10.=20
There's probably a correct way to prevent this, which probably involves=20
editing ~/.fonts.conf, but since I reckoned that I'm not going to miss that=
=20
font at all, and I never understood fontconfig syntax and semantics=20
completely, I just deleted it - problem solved, here. From looking at that=
=20
screenshot of yours, it seems to be at least a different font for you thoug=
h.

=2D-=20