Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 11:59:36 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>, jehamby@lightside.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> > On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Jake Hamby wrote:
> >
> > > porting FreeBSD programs over to Win32, so I'll post my progress on that
> > >
> > > ---Jake
> >
> > Why don't you go the other way (win32 -> freebsd) ;-)
>
> I think one has to considerate this sincerely. Is anyone following what's
> the Wine project is heading? I think that Win32 on top of a rock solid
> OS like FreeBSD would be a perfect marriage. I see a strong need for a
> unified GUI in the Unix world and be it Win32. Wait two years and all
> existing 16bit and segmentation anachronisms will be thrown overboard.
> Then we will face a exploding Win32 world (under a merged WinNT4.0 and
> Win97). It's time to wake up.

A point about which I must disagree... Win32 is not as good. Perhaps it
will never be (just think about DOS  - it *did* become better over the
time of it's existence). If the things go on as they are now, IMHO
FreeBSD will have better SMP support than Win32...

Emulating another system is never as good as running in native mode, no
matter how hard you try. How about making headers and libraries which
would allow you to compile you win32 code for FreeBSD and X11 with little
to no changes? It would allow all those shareware people list that their
products are available for several platrorms, one of which is real unix :)

	Sander.

> > == coredump@nervosa.com ================= http://www.nervosa.com/~coredump ==
> >

> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

PS. It is actually not a challenge to anybody to start Win32 support...
So please no flames.