Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:02:13 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] GNU make 3.82

On 03/10/2011 12:52, Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2011, at 14:21 , Doug Barton wrote:
>> What I'm suggesting is that the URL for the logs of that run get
>> posted here, along with contacting the maintainers of the affected
>> ports. Then let's see what people have to say about getting them
>> fixed sooner rather than later. Can you explain why doing that
>> would be a bad idea?
>
> Those 50 or so ports are not the complete picture.  Some of them are
> preventing other ports from being built.  So, we cycle through an
> -exp run adding USE_GMAKE=381 (it's not a library or anything, just
> an executable, and in the context of clean building, only one or the
> other will exist for a specific port -exp build, so there's no
> question of interaction) until we have _all_ of the affected ports.
>
> Then the list gets posted somewhere,

Great!

> USE_GMAKE=381 goes active,

That's the bit that we disagree on, but your unwillingness to answer the
question I've posed twice now tells me clearly that you are determined
to follow this course of action, so I give up.

>> I admire your optimism, however experience tells us that once these
>> types of accomodations get into the tree, they stay there for a
>> long time.
>
> There is no issue of optimism about it.  gmake-3.82 _will_ be the
> sole version of GNU make in the tree by (at latest) the end of this
> year.

You've already slipped your deadline from 6 months firm, to 6-7 months,
now to 9 months in the course of just a few emails. I'd be willing to
wager $BEVERAGE of your choice that we enter 2012 with multiple gmakes