Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 15:09:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@cyberport.net>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   PLIP between FreeBSD and Linux?

I've been using PLIP (parallel cable IP) between FreeBSD boxes
happily for a while.  Now I have a Linux notebook I'd like to hook to my
desktop FreeBSD box via PLIP.  The desktop box is 2.1.0.  I swiped
'lpt.c' from the 2.1.7 distribution (which, according to the comments,
now has a Linux compatability mode) and made a new kernel.  Doing
something like

ifconfig lp0 link0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2

doesn't do the trick.  Looking at the "plip" device on the Linux box I
can see the "packets received" count going up, matching the pings I'm
sending from the FreeBSD box.  However, the pings are never successfully
returned.  The same notebook running FreeBSD worked fine, so it's not a
hardware problem.  I'm pretty new with linux, do I need to do anything
more than

ifconfig plip1 pointopoint 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2

to get it running?  The linux box doesn't seem to recognize the plip
device as functional, I can neither send pings to the FreeBSD box (no
route to host) or add a route.  Still, since the "packets received"
counter is going up *something* seems to be happening...

- Mike