Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:50:17 +0200
From:      m.ehinger@ltur.de
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: novell mount losing state and Fatal trap 12

Here is what i get sometimes when i try to mount an novell volume. (e.g. mount_nwfs -A 1.2.3.4 /server:user/volume /mnt)

Jul 13 09:25:10 pcmcb3-104 kernel: ncp_load: loaded
Jul 13 09:26:25 pcmcb3-104 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel:
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel:
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: fault virtual address           = 0x0
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: fault code                      = supervisor write, page not present
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: instruction pointer             = 0x20:0xc04c66a5
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: stack pointer                     = 0x28:0xdddf88c8
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: frame pointer                     = 0x28:0xdddf88d0
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: code segment                    = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: processor eflags          = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: current process                       = 679 (mount_nwfs)
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: trap number                     = 12
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: panic: page fault
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: Uptime: 1m23s
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
Jul 13 09:26:26 pcmcb3-104 kernel: Rebooting...

             Maik Ehinger/MCB

             11.07.2006 08:39                                                                                                    An
                                                                Antony Mawer <fbsd-stable@mawer.org>
                                                                                                                              Kopie
                                                                freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
                                                                                                                              Thema
                                                                Re: novell mount losing state(Document link: Maik Ehinger)

We use IP for access. We mount it with the mount_nwfs command.

My working server (FBSD 4.11) and the non working server (FBSD 6.1) are both connected to the some switch.

I also got an kernel trap = 12 after i mounted the novell volume.

             Antony Mawer <fbsd-stable@mawer.org>

             08.07.2006 04:18                                                                                                    An
                                                               m.ehinger@ltur.de
                                                                                                                              Kopie

On 5/07/2006 5:03 PM, m.ehinger@ltur.de wrote:
> i'am using FreeBSD 6.1 Stable and tried to mount an Novell volume (mount_nwfs). Mounting the volume works without problems but
after
> some time of inactivity on that mount i have to remount the volume to get access again.
>
> Syslog message:
>
>       Jul  5 08:51:08 pcmcb3-104 kernel: ncprq: Restoring connection, flags = 101
>
> Output of "ncplist c" working mount (yesterday evening)
>       Active NCP connections:
>        refid server:user(connid), owner:group(mode), refs, <state>
>            7 SERVER:USER(483), root:wheel(755), 1, <active>
>
> Output of "ncplist c" non working mount (today morning)
>
>       Active NCP connections:
>        refid server:user(connid), owner:group(mode), refs, <state>
>            7 SERVER:USER(397), root:wheel(755), 1, <>

Are you using IPX or IP for access to the Netware server? What version
of Netware are you using? We mount our Netware shares on-demand, but
only because that suits our access pattern...

We have seen issues with the Netware connection "going away" depending
on how you configure the IPX network numbers on FreeBSD and how you're
running IPXrouted. We've also seen issues with connectivity to Netware
servers with both IP and IPX that are due to network topology
problems... moving the FreeBSD server to a different location on the
network resolved our connectivity issues at one site.

What command are you using to create the initial Netware connection? A
mount_nwfs command or ncplogin ?

Regards
Antony