Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:44:53 -0700
From:      Tim Baird <tim@storm.digital-rain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail users

At 05:15 PM 4/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I do not know exactly how to ask this so I will try to explain what I want
>to do.
>
>I have a small home network set up with my freebsd box as a server.
>I have my kids mac and my wife's win 98 box wired to it and they acces the
>internet through it.
>
>I have a static email address and would like to give them all a mailbox on
>my machine where there email would come to.

Just a few Qs....

Do you have a DNS MX record pointing to your FBSD system for your domain?
Is sendmail configured on your box to accept mail for this domain?
Is your box on-line 24/7 ..if not, it is essential to have a  cross mailer.

If you have e-mail accounts elswhere, the process would involve using
fetchmail to pull mail from the outside into the various internal mail
boxes.  If you have a limited time on-line, this would be more efficient.
(ie. grab mail once per hour....)

Have you got a pop server set up on your box?

For the surfing part, are you running NAT or address aliasing (ppp has an
aliasing option) or are you proxying out of your box from the inside net?