Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:44:52 +0100
From:      Eliot Earle <sfromley@ntlworld.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mixing portupgrade with sysinstall safe?

RW wrote:
 > On Friday 22 April 2005 08:32, Joel wrote:
 >
 >>Really stupid question, I know. I just feel funny about using sysinstall
 >>after doing a portupgrade.
 >>
 >>Probably is not a good idea?
 >

 > If by "using sysinstall", you mean using it to install packages, then
it's not
 > all that bad, although it's generally better to keep everthing up to
date
 > from ports.
 >
 > Having said that, the things that people with slow computers often
prefer to
 > install from package, such KDE or OpenOffice, often have more up to date
 > versions available on other servers.

Depends on your definition of "good idea" I guess.  I find that having
added gcc3.4 via sysinstall prior to upgrading from fbsd 4.something to
fbsd 5.3, I am now stuck with two versions of the damned thing, and
can't figure out for the life of me how to get rid of the ancient
version which it seems as though the system is intent on using.

spadge@tobermory$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728

spadge@tobermory$ where gcc
gcc-3.4.4_20050415 is in lang/gcc34

Where do sysinstall-ed packages keep their info, so I can remove it?
It's not the same thing as a pkg-add at all, is it?

Personally, I think next time I'll go with pkg-add if I don't want to
wait the hours it takes my poor little server to compile something like
gcc prior to upgrading across major versions of the OS.  Other than
that, just stick to ports.

--
Eliot
'intocabile'