Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:31:47 -0600
From:      "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com>
To:        "'Vladimir I. Kulakov'" <kulakov@kudesniki.ru>
Cc:        "'security@freebsd.org'" <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Directory invisible by FTP?

Morning Vladimir-

Are you using the default BSD ftp daemon? I believe the issue is that when
you chroot a user, the daemon roots them before getting the path to a shell.
3 ways around this:

1) Use a FTP daemon which doesn't do this in a rooted environment (ProFTPD
is one)

2) Create a root owned /etc and /bin directory inside the users directory.
Place a copy of 'ls' in the bin and a then copy the passwd and group files
into your new /etc directory. Edit the passwd and group files to only
include root (wheel) and the user you want. Remove any references to
passwords. The passwd and group files are only necessary if you want to be
able to see usernames instead of UID and GIDS when people view their
directory.

3) Go home, have a christmas cake and not worry about it ;)

Henrik
---
Henrik Hudson