Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 20:34:23 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   The Clash of the TARs

Sunday, one week ago, the server was hung up running a large FILE backup
using TAR from the base system (4.5-RELEASE). It was suggested to me that
there may be a limit near 2GB, and that I should try gtar from ports.

So, I installed gtar and substituted it for tar. This moring, I found that
my nitely backup had been hungup for about 8 hours! The hard drives were
running hard. A look at the processes showed that the cron job for the
backup was still running. An attempt to run a directory listing on the
drive 2 was unsuccessful. Drive 1 was okay.

The backup starts at 23.30 and should normally take a few minutes. It took
a reboot to stop the loop of Read/Writing. The fsck found problems on the
2nd HD (backup drive) which is identical to the system drive #1. Luckily,
the main drive was clean on the reboot. This was pretty much identical to
the problem a week ago when the same thing happened, but with tar instead
of gtar.

My next thought, or question is "will any symlinks in the backup cause this
'looping' if that is what it is?" ....or, is it a drive going bad....???
Both drives are new, but I know that doesn't matter. Maybe BIOS is
confused...??? ...or...???? Drive 2 is having the problem.

Sure could use some thoughts on this as I am afraid to run the big HD to HD
backups now....

BTW, I'm running the same backups on several other machines without any
problem....

Thanks for ANY thoughts on this. Not sure how to cure it.... and afraid
this production server is at risk.

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone