Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:36:15 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        andrewr <andrewr@slack.net>
Cc:        Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, Alexandre Snarskii <snar@paranoia.ru>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Projects to improve security (related to C)

In message <Pine.NEB.3.96.980722162742.24981A-100000@brooklyn.slack.net> andrewr writes:
: Which is why I am going to ask people who I know for sure know what to
: look for.

Asking and getting are two different things :-).  However, most
anybody can do find /usr/src/blah | xargs egrep sprintf.

: > Also, it is a huge effort to coordinate.  The effort also suffered
: > from lack of time of some of the participants.
:
: Another thing I am going to ask from the participants is that they really
: DO have time.  It's up to them to make the correct choice.. The choice to
: help out and make their OS better, or to slack and hurt the project.

I think that this is a dangerous attitude.  People want to do these
things, but often times other things come up to prevent them from
putting the time into the project.  You'll likely need, to run a
successful project, some flexibility in this, plus assigning the tree
to multiple people.  It is far easier to give the tree out in small
chunks than in large chunks.  At least it is easier for people to
finish them.

Warner