Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:36:19 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, olivas@digiflux.org
Subject:   Back-up DNS, mail and WWW servers for FreeBSD PR site

Hi,

Earlier today, Stacy Olivas and I decided that it would be a good thing t=
o set=20
up a site to handle PR, specifically for journalists and less technical t=
ype=20
users. We've sent e-mails to some relevant people in charge and are hopin=
g=20
for the official blessing, but even if we don't get it, we'd set up the s=
ite=20
in an unofficial capacity anyway.

I'm looking for people willing to act as back-up DNS, mail exchanger and =
WWW=20
servers. We will be load balancing WWW requests with a round robin DNS=20
resolver. We have already sent out private requests to contacts in Europe=
,=20
the UK and the US for servers there, and have one server in Spain and one=
 in =20
South Africa which will be hosting DNS, mail and WWW.

At this time, we are specifically looking for one more back-up DNS in the=
=20
Asia-Pacific region. Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, South Korea,=20
anywhere in the general area with good uptimes and reasonable bandwidth w=
ould=20
be wonderful.

People willing to act as back-up MX (mail exchanger) servers. This is a l=
ow=20
traffic job, all that is required is that your server be willing to relay=
=20
mail for the domain, and forward it later when the primary MX is back up.=
=20
Mail will only ever arrive if all other backup MX servers listed before y=
ours=20
is down, so it's highly unlikely that this will ever be needed, but we're=
=20
taking no chances. All that is required here is some hard drive space on =
/var=20
to handle a few MB of mail for a few hours if the need be.

People willing to host WWW space. This would require a web server with su=
pport=20
for PHP4, and a MySQL database accessable from the web server. Anyone wit=
h a=20
nice big pipe and a strong server is very welcome, we want to get as many=
=20
servers as we can, to be as prepared as we can for the posibility <wishfu=
l=20
thinking> of being slashdotted one day </wishful thinking>. Anybody anywh=
ere=20
in the world that is willing to help would be welcomed.

We'd be willing to place small rotating adds for any project, ISP or=20
organization that donates any of these resources to the project, and a st=
atic=20
add on each mirror for the entity that donates the mirror (as with exim.o=
rg)

Anybody offering to help out with one or more of these services is most=20
welcome, the help will be greatly appreciated.

Please contact me if you are interested in lending a hand.

Kind Regards
Will
--=20
Willie Viljoen