Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 04:59:43 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV 4.4-STABLE still offering problems

--oJ71EGRlYNjSvfq7

Dimitry Andric <dim@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>=20
> However, the proper solution is to follow the instructions from
> /etc/defaults/make.conf, which say:
>=20
> # If you experience any problems after setting this flag, please unset
> # it again before submitting a bug report or attempting to modify code.
> # It may be that certain types of software will become unstable after bei=
ng
> # compiled with processor-specific (or higher - see below) optimization f=
lags.
> # If in doubt, do not set CPUTYPE or CFLAGS to non-default values.
>=20
> So I'm now in the process of removing CPUTYPE from all FreeBSD boxes I
> manage, and rebuilding them. :)

I did try putting some agressive optimizations to /etc/make.conf once.

All kinds of weird problems started popping up, with the most annoying of t=
hem
all an invalid checksup on all UDP and TCP packets my machine tried to send
over dialup interfaces like ppp0 or tun0.

Switching to a plain `-O -pipe' setting in make.conf made all of the proble=
ms
go magically away.  That was the last time I used optimizations in buildwor=
ld
and buildkernel, as far as I remember :)

Strange because in the Linux camp they are all madly optimizing, but since I
hate unpredictability compared to a loss of speed, the choise is obvious for
me thereafter.

Just my $0.2

-giorgos

--oJ71EGRlYNjSvfq7