Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 07:22:19 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@altair.mayn.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Bcc:
Subject: Re: FTP directory listing with ftpio(3) and fetch(3)

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

>Type 'man 3 fetch', scroll down to the BUGS section, and see the
>light. Next, scroll back up to the AUTHORS section and find out who to
>contact :)

(fetch stuff)

BTW.. although risking to be off-topic by miles, I always liked the way
how NetBSD's ftp(1) (since 1.4 or so) implemented http and ftp URL
fetching and thus eliminated the need for a fetch(1) command.
Couldn't the FreeBSD ftp(1) be enhanced that way, [ObTopic, slime slime]
to use fetch(3) for that purpose?

(Or just "steal" the NetBSD implementation, FreeBSD aren't the Knights
who say NIH, I would hope.)

I'd really love to have yet another superfluous userland tool like
fetch(1) go away, especially because it collides in namespace with
another fetch program and the functionality could be very well
integrated with the ftp utility.  Personally, I find fetch(1) a bad idea.

Cc'ied to -questions, for obvious reasons, thanks for your attention :).

mkb