Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:01:39 -0500
From:      "David T. Small" <dts@cise.ufl.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dts@cise.ufl.edu
Subject:   route/udp: unknown service

I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.6-RELEASE.  After some major mucking about and
a kernel rebuild, my system is *almost* running happily.  Two things
that used to work, now don't.

First during the boot process, after printing the device probing
stuff, the machine writes:

	lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
		inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
	starting routing daemon: routedrouted: router/udp: unknown service
	.
	clearing /tmp
	recording kernel -c changes
	starting system daemons: syslogd
	starting network daemons: syslogd: syslog/udp: unknown service

I am still able to make a ppp (client side) internet connection and do
'slogin's; but services (which rely on udp) like rlogin and telnet no
longer function.  For example:

	tomcat:/etc/ppp> rlogin grove.ufl.edu
	rlogin: warning, using standard rlogin: can't get entry for klogin/tcp service.
	rlogin: login/tcp: unknown service.

I haven't modified the networking section of /etc/sysconfig, nor touched
/etc/inetd.conf, /etc/services, and /etc/protocols.

Second, I'm no longer able to get my printer to function in
interrupt-driven mode.  This isn't a critical problem, because the
printer does work in polled-mode, but it would be nice to know what is
going on.  I checked my kernel configuration file for IRQ conflicts
and haven't found any.  Is there anyway to get list of IRQ (and DRQ)'s
from a running system?  Is it possibly something other than a hidden
IRQ conflict?

Any pointers on how to resolve either of these issues would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Small
dts@cise.ufl.edu