Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2013 12:41:31 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: PACKAGESITE spam

--X+8siUETKMkW99st

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 10:16:44PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2013-Dec-22 11:53:17 -0800, Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.=
com> wrote:
> >Because of that deinstall log.  When you use `pkg install` to upgrade a=
=20
> >port, you get something like this:
> >
> >Jul 10 23:06:40 chombo pkg-static: ca_root_nss-3.15.1 installed
> >Nov 29 15:04:52 chombo pkg: ca_root_nss reinstalled: 3.15.2_1
> >
> >That information does not exist in the pkg database.
>=20
> I agree that's a serious bug/regression in the pkg database: With the
> old pkg system, I could tell when a port was installed by looking at
> the timestamps on the +COMMENT file.  The install time is needed to
> answer questions like "does this entry in UPDATING affect me" (ie have
> I rebuilt the port since the entry date).  It's something I used
> regularly and its absence is a PITA.

You can still query from the package database about the installation time.

With the ancient system you had no way to determine if something was reinst=
alled
You add no way to determine if it was an upgrade=20
You add no way to fihure out what something was removed.

>=20
> I shouldn't need to rummage through /var/log/messages - and in any case,
> by default FreeBSD only keeps 500K of messages history (about a month
> in my case) so the information has probably rotated into the bit bucket.
>=20
> I agree that having a pkg audit trail would be useful.  Unfortunately,
> what we have today is not an audit trail and isn't especially useful.

it is an audit trail, it is very useful in lots of cases as I spotted befor=
e,
and it is also mandatory for some security certification in that form preci=
sely.

You want other cases, here is 2 others very very usual cases?
Determine what has been done when managing a farm of servers with
puppet,cfengine,salt,anssible and friens.
Determine what has been done when you have multiple admins on your servers

regards,
Bapt

--X+8siUETKMkW99st

--X+8siUETKMkW99st--