Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 23:38:16 +0100
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

	[maintaining post to both -ports and -current -- IMHO it is
	relevant]

Terry Lambert writes:

> I like this.  I think that there should be coordination with the
> OpenBSD and NetBSD folks to make sure they are usable "out of the box"
> for them as well.  It could become simply "The BSD ports collection".

	YES!  I definitely agree with this idea -- since OpenBSD already
	uses the ports...  Having a common set of CD's / archives that
	any *BSD user could pull buy / pull down from the net would
	certainly increase the "presence" as marketdroids like
	to call it.

> You may want to coordinate with BSDI, if at all possible...

	Hmmm.  It does seem that there hasn't been so much cooperation
	with BSDI since doscmd was donated...

> This should probably wait for ELF, though, since all the other BSD's
> are ELF now...

	Argh.  Now my question :-) -- apart from our ports/package system,
	there also exists at least 2 other package systems out there (all
	Linux):

	- debian package (with hard/soft dependencies scheme)
	- RedHat

	And I know we have the "rpm" tool in /usr/port/misc.

	How difficult/sick/twisted would it be to have some kind
	of skeleton like "ports" which would be a superset of
	wrappers for RPM/Debian _packages_ (not so many, only
	the binary stuff we can't get in source), and then
	go into the "/usr/ports/blah/foo" and do make, just
	like we did when BSDI Netscape was in ports ?

	(or even better: pkg_add ApplixWare-x.x.rpm) ?

	I'll go and take my pills now.

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
  "Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead IN and