Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 18:01:23 -0500
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   install locking up

I've been considering switching my linux based web server over to freebsd
but have been running into a some trouble even getting freebsd to boot off
the install floppy.  The floppy drives on this machine are a little on the
flakey side, but by disabling both the internal and external cache on the
machine I can get them to read the floppy without giving errors (leaving
either of the cache's on results in a crc error while uncompressing the
kernel).  Unfortunately, it gets all the way through the boot process, and
the installation menu comes up, and the machine locks up completely.  I've
tried the boot floppy on another machine, and it starts up fine so I don't
think it's the floppy itself.  I'm also fairly sure that the floppy is
reading things correctly when the cache's are turned off.  The machine is a
486dx2 66, 20 megs of ram, 2 240 meg ide disk drives, 3c503 ethernet card
(io 300, irq 5, rom 0xc8000), and an et4000 video card.  Anyone have any
ideas?  Suggestions?

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu